Monday, January 23, 2012

kindred spirits


One of the reasons I came to Grand Manan this weekend was to do some research on a couple of projects that I've had in the back of my mind for awhile now.  The first thing I needed to do was to dig into the island archives to find out if there was enough material to do pursue what I had in mind.  (There was!) So I spent most of Saturday afternoon getting acquainted with two delightful ladies, a mother and daughter, and the host of colourful characters who populated their lives in the first few decades of the 20th century.  It's kind of a thrill to pore over the old yellowed original letters - you start to get a real feel for the details of their life and their personalities.  By the time I came across the quote above (written to the mother by the daughter while she was away at college in the late 1920s) I knew I had discovered kindred spirits.  Looking forward to coming back and spending more time with them!

No comments: