Thursday, January 26, 2012

australia day

Happy Australia Day!  Ok, well technically the day is nearly over for my friends Down Under but I had to give a little shout out to an amazing country.   I was never someone who put visiting Australia on her "bucket list" but when the chance came to visit Lori and Leon  in 2010, it was too good an opportunity to pass up.  Even in the middle of a Melbourne winter, Australia delighted.   From the outdoorsy: lush hill country and and temperate rainforests, koala-spotting and paddling with platypus... to the decadent: the food! the wine! the shops! the wine!  And the coffee.  Oh my, the coffee.  Even the most out of the way rest stop seemed to possess an espresso maker and a knowledgeable barista.  Australia?  Who knew?

And most of all the people.  Maybe it's because traveling is so much part of their own culture and they know what it's like to be a visitor but I found everyone I met  - from shopkeepers to Lori and Leon's besties - to be welcoming, gregarious and warm; interested in hearing about Canada and so proud to show off their country. 

So cheers Australia!  Thanks for giving me a great adventure!

No comments: