Monday, June 27, 2011

local love

Jennifer's strawberry-rhubarb cordial made from local strawberries and rhubarb from her backyard (and garnished with Sweet Valley basil!)
If you read this blog regularly, you know I'm ever-so-slightly obsessed with our local farm market. But as much as I love it, sometimes even I forget how much our local food options have improved in the past few years.  My friend Lori and I used to have regular market dates before she moved to Australia and we hit the market together for the first time in 18 months this weekend.   As I acquainted her with my favourite new finds, I realized just how many great new vendors have been added to the market stalwarts.  What really struck me is how many young couples and families have started growing and selling great local food!  And of course it's coming on the best time of the year for local produce.  The arrival of the first flats of local strawberries was the cause of great rejoicing in this corner for sure!

Local food took centre stage for Sunday supper with simple, easy and delicious summer cooking.  What local foods do you most look forward to?


Lemon-pepper Nashwaak Noodles tossed with sauteed local garlic scapes and le forban (black pepper goatcheese) from au fond des bois fromagerie

vanilla panna cotta on coulis of local strawberries garnished with basil from my windowsill

No comments: