Monday, June 27, 2011

find a peony, pick it up...

 
People from a planet without flowers would think we must be mad with joy the whole time to have such things about us.  ~Iris Murdoch
 
This year I've had a fondness for begonias and a little floral crush on Sweet William but my very favourite flower remains the peony.  Oddly for one of the showiest flowers in the garden, in the language of flowers the peony stands for bashfulness due in part to the legend that mischievous nymphs hide in the petals.   When I bought my house it was March and I only had blurry summer photos from the realtor to go on but I thought I spotted a peony bush in bloom.   All I could do was wait.  I was rewarded shortly later that spring when the reddish sprouts pushed their way through the earth.    I still wait all spring for the all-too-brief window when  bushes are in bloom so I can pick one fragrant blossom to bring indoors.
 

No comments: