Tuesday, April 26, 2011

under the sea

Lumpfish by Eric Allaby

In the interest of full disclosure, I will tell you that the artist featured today sponsored my room, board, piano lessons etc. for 17 years and put me through college...

A while back the Hunstsman Marine Science Centre in St. Andrews asked my dad to submit a painting for their upcoming calendar.  It surprising that as a diver for more than three decades and a painter during that entire time, Dad hadn't painted underwater life before.  He's preferred to focus on sailing ships and seascapes although he's recently started painting the birds that frequent his cove on Grand Manan island.  When he was given the list of potential sea life to paint, he opted for one that he thought no one else would pick: the humble lumpfish. (Dad shares his firsthand impressions of lumpfish behaviours over on his blog - they're great little creatures!)

I love Mr. Lumpfish - he has so much personality! - and am now considering asking dad to paint me a series of underwater creatures.  The whimsical creatures and the underwater atmosphere and light make me smile.

The lumpfish, along with many of dad's other works, are available on his Etsy shop.  If you're interested in painting, he offers great behind the art tips each week on his blog as well.

2 comments:

Denis Caissie said...

Dear Glad Girl,

That fish is simply adorable! Me likes. A lot.

Laura said...

wow, I will definitely check out his Etsy shop.