Thursday, April 7, 2011

project yellow: office space


And so it came to pass last week that the Glad Girl found herself self-employed and in need of a home office.  Faced with embarking on a rather big adventure, one of my first priorities was to create a beautiful, energizing space. Working from home takes discipline and I wanted a space that would inspire me and that would be a pleasure to spend my days in.   Luckily I had a spare bedroom that had been little more than a repository for craft supplies, ephemera and, well, junk.  I can't even show you the before photo.  It was that horrifying.


I wanted the space to be cheerful and this pot of daisies from my thoughtful friend Jilanna provided the perfect inspiration point - right down to their pale aqua wrapper.  This of course meant lots of yellow which prompted Jennifer to dub the entire enterprise: Project Yellow.

The blue-green wall colour is both calming and uplifting but pale enough to function almost as a neutral which allows me to bring in a lot of other bright colours. (Please note the office mascot there in the left corner.  The office has no furniture under which his ball can get stuck.  I can't tell you what a relief this is.)


You just knew there had to be stripes right?

I'd love to splurge on a retro mid-century desk at some point but for now dining room set from my old apartment has been re-upholstered and repurposed for my work station.  (That great mug is by Shanie Stozek.)

This will never be a paperless office.  I love my notebooks!

These tissue paper pom-poms have been showing up everywhere but why wait for a party to make and hang them? 
Whiteboards are for boardrooms, I'm more of a chalkboard kind of girl.


Colour! The question written in the bottom of the newsprint is taken from Benjamin Franklin's daily schedule.   Simple and inspiring.

I love creating little vignettes of things that make me happy: flowers, apothecary jars, old Underwood typewriter, vintage decorating books and a peony candle.

So I've got a beautiful space and I'm pleasantly overwhelmed with some of the opportunities I already have before me.  The future of bright for Project Yellow!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Heather, your office is gorgeous! I wish you would come do mine. I'm sure I would be much more productive in a beautiful space like yours. You're going to love working from home. Trust me.
Kathy

Unknown said...

Loving this SO MUCH, Glad Girl! Way to accentuate the positive!

miss allaby: the glad girl said...

Thanks ladies! I'm really loving the new space!