Tuesday, December 21, 2010

12 films of christmas: white christmas




It's the first day of winter and half the province seems to be underwater.  I think most people are dreaming of a dry Christmas more than anything at the moment.  But I think many of us secretly hope for at least a dusting of snow...snow... snow.

White Christmas is definitely a sentimental choice for me.  I watched this so many times growing up and still can recite the dialogue right along with Bing and Rosemary.  Sure, it's as sappy as Vermont maple syrup but that's why I love it.  It's an explosion of music, colourful costumes and holiday cheer.

 As a bonus check out Holiday Inn, the original film that introduced the song White Christmas.  It has Bing, Berlin songs and Fred Astaire.  (But you'll want to take a pass on the unfortunate blackface number for Lincoln's birthday.)



Fun fact: The Vermont inn from White Christmas is the remodeled Connecticut inn set from  Holiday Inn.


No comments: