Wednesday, May 23, 2012

raspberry sorbet


Summer (or at least a very lovely late spring) seems fully upon us now and it's time to switch out the cool weather kitchen gadgets (goodbye for a few months, slow-cooker) for the warm weather tools (ice cream maker, I think I've missed you most of all!). 

While I'm looking forward to making a few batches of rich and decadent ice cream, I decided to start the season with something a little lighter (and to use up the end of last season's berry picking to make room in the freezer!).  So raspberry sorbet it was.

I've mentioned before on the blog how easy sorbet is.  This raspberry sorbet has only four ingredients - the most time-consuming part was waiting for the puree to strain completely. While I was standing in my sunny kitchen pressing the pureed raspberries through the strainer, I experienced a rush of memories of the fruits of last summers berry-picking adventures.  Coulis, cordials, sorbets...  Can't wait to do it all again!

the how-to

Heat 1 cup water and 1/2 cup sugar over medium heat until sugar is dissolved to create a simple syrup.  Puree syrup with 3-4 cups of raspberries.  Strain through fine mesh sieve.  Raspberry sorbet has such a stunning colour and raspberry seeds are such a pain that I strained this twice.  Stir in 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice or to taste and chill the mixture for at least an hour until cool.  Freeze in ice cream maker according to directions.

If you don't have an ice cream maker, don't worry.  You can make sorbet in the freezer just plan on it taking a little longer - this recipe gives you the how-to.

Is it even possible to make raspberry sorbet without humming a little of Prince's Raspberry Beret?

No comments: