Wednesday, February 1, 2012

granola girl


When my grandmother first introduced me to granola many, many years ago it seemed incredibly exotic compared to, say, Shreddies or Fruit Loops.  Granola is actually really easy to make at home - doesn't get any simpler than this Everyday Granola recipe from Molly Wizenberg.  I followed her recipe more or less as written but there's a lot of room to play with your own ingredients.


Mix together:
  • 3 cups old-fashioned oats
  • 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans  (or almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds - your choice!)
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 3 tablespoons (packed) brown sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon & 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger (you could play with your own fave spices)
  • 1/4 teaspoon (generous) salt

Heat 1/3 cup honey and 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil over low-medium heat until blended.  I think my next batch I'd like to try maple syrup instead of honey - yum!  I'm sure you could replace the brown sugar and honey with agave if you know the right proportions as well.


Spread the mixture over a parchment lined baking sheet and pop in a 300F oven for 40 minutes, tossing every 10.  Once the mixture is crispy and golden, remove and cool.  


Once it's cool mix in 1 cup of dried fruit.  I love dried cranberries but again this is up to you.  Store in an airtight container for one week.

No comments: