Friday, May 20, 2011

three little birds

waiting for mom or dad to bring back breakfast while mom or dad looks on



Rise up this mornin',
Smiled with the risin' sun,
Three little birds
Pitch by my doorstep
Singin' sweet songs
Of melodies pure and true,
Sayin', ("This is my message to you-ou-ou:")

Singin': "Don't worry 'bout a thing,

'Cause every little thing gonna be all right." 
~Bob Marley~


It's surely a measure of how busy and distracted I've been that I didn't notice until two days ago that a little family of robins had taken up residence in the corner above my porch swing,  (and even then it was actually my friend Bridget who brought it to my attention.)  Bird behaviour is fascinating to me.  I love the way that during the day as the three little babies hang out in the nest - and nearly over the nest they're getting so big - one of the adults sits nearby in the very old hydrangea shrub that hugs the porch corner and the other sits higher up in the power line.The adults are amazingly vigilant constantly looking about and letting out chirps of warning when necessary.  (I should note that I was several feet back when I took these pictures and then cropped in closely.  Want to be very respectful of their little home.)

I could watch them from the living room window all day.  And how amazing are nests?  What smart feats of engineering.  I'll be so sad when it's empty!



No comments: