Tuesday, September 11, 2012

fall into fredericton


Such as busy and fun weekend!  Kicked things off with a Theatre New Brunswick company barbeque at Caleb's to celebrate the start of our 46th season (!) and the arrival of the Oleanna cast.  Productions are crazy times but I love when new casts arrive and new friendships and memories are made as you create something very special together.

Saturday brought a trip to the Boyce Farmer's Market, of course. It's the most wonderful time of the year at the farmer's markets - colourful, delicious fruits and vegetables and the folks who grow them.  A winning combination.


It's not all food at the market. 


I ran into my friends Jan and Ginny with their daughter Ava who was excitedly waiting for her turn with Tinsel the Clown.  Definitely a market tradition for Fredericton kids.  Ava was so adorable, I briefly forgot that clowns make me uneasy. 
After stocking up on fresh fruit and veg, preserves and homemade pasta, Jennifer, Andrew and I headed downtown for my first Crepe Suzette experience.  I believe we have a new Saturday breakfast spot.  This Queen Street creperie is cozy and charming.   And the only thing better than Eggs Benedict may be Eggs Benedict on crepes! (with a London Fog to drink - my new hot beverage obsession.)

In the afternoon Caleb and I hit up the new Northside Market.  This was my first time over since they opened in August.  I was really impressed with how they've transformed an old furniture showroom and warehouse into a spacious market with a great variety of vendors.   You actually don't see much duplication from the Boyce which goes to show there's lots of market love in the city to go around.  Our friend and TNB colleague Tony runs a food stand there so of course we had to stop and pick something up.  (Please don't count how many eggs I ate this weekend!)  Caleb grabbed some samosas (some market traditions transcend geography) and I picked up my favourite sunflower honey bread from the Happy Baker stand. I think I'll be back for some of the delicious olive oils and balsamic vinegars I sampled at St. Croix Olive Oil.  I loved the Chocolate Raspberry Balsamic (I think Caleb was surprised that he actually liked it too!)

After dropping Caleb off, I headed to the grand opening of Real Food Connections new retail space.  I can't really do justice to this local food success story in a  few sentences.  Suffice to say that in a couple of years Levi Lawrence has gone from selling a few locally sourced products from the family garage to a great new retail space where you can buy everything from locally-produced boar to bath products.  RFC has been a driving force in the local food movement and their store stocked with shelves of local products takes a lot of guesswork out of 'buying local.'  It was great to see so many people turn out to support them at the grand opening!

Sunday brought Feast in the Field, a fundraiser for AbilityNB.  600 guests have the chance to sample more than 20 food and beverage exhibitors set up in Officer's Square.  You can get the full scoop on my Feast experience later this week in my Fredericton Town Square Tourism Hub blog post.

After eating my way around the city all weekend, it was great to catch up with the Sunday night knitting group at a local coffee shop for some conversation, knitting and, yes, one last London Fog.

What did you get up to this weekend?

No comments: