Monday, July 16, 2012

london calling: send an olympic cheer

My first memory of the Olympics is watching the opening ceremonies of the 1984 games in Los Angeles.  That summer my friends and I were Olympic mad: drawing our own flags, making torches out of paper towel tubes and solemnly presenting one another scraggly wildflower bouquets for achievements in hill rolling, tree-branch swinging or puddle-jumping.  

I'm not by nature much of a sports fan but there's something about the Olympics...  Suddenly I find myself deeply invested in people I've never heard of in sports I was only vaguely aware existed.   It's been 28 years since my first Olympic memories and we are on the verge of another round of summer games.   What sports are you looking forward to?

For Fredericton folks, on Thursday you have a fun chance to kickstart the Olympic spirit.












With their Hometown Champions tour, RBC is sending three London cabs around Canada in the lead up to this summer's games.  Hop in the back and record your video message to send your Olympic well-wishes to your favourite athlete or the entire Canadian team.  On July 19 you can find the cab at RBC on Queen St.  from 10-12:30pm and Officers Square from 2-6 pm. Swing by and spread some Olympic-size love!

No comments: