Tuesday, April 24, 2012

a star is born

Today Barbra Streisand turns 70! Here she is at 22 in the television special My Name is Barbra.  Did I mention?  She's 22.




In honour of this occasion I think I will treat myself to a double-header of my favourite Babs movies.

What's Up Doc
Who do you think they'll arrest?  The girl in the the tub or the guy with his pants down?
Peter Bogdanovich's 1972 What's up Doc? is high on my list of favourite comedies.  It's a loving homage to the classic screwball movies of the 1930s (particularly Bringing up Baby) and Barbra shows incredible chops as a quirky comedienne. Bonus points for handsome geek Ryan O'Neal (fresh off of Love Story), the always brilliant (and much-missed) Madeline Kahn and a fantastic supporting cast of characters.

The way we were
You'll never find anyone as good for you as I am, to believe in you as much as I do or to love you as much.
What is it with girls and The Way We Were? Nearly 40 years later, we still swoon for the story of the ill-fated romance between golden boy Hubble and quirky K-K-K-Katie.   Two hours of New York skylines, California beaches, 1940s & 50s style through a 1970s lens and off course a bittersweet kleenex-shredding love story.


No comments: