Thursday, August 19, 2010

quick butterscotch or penuche icing

I attended a picnic last weekend and had my heart set on bringing a chocolate cake with a brown sugar icing.  This recipe from Joy of Cooking captures all the melting sweetness of penuche (peh-NOO-chee) fudge.

(The cake was devoured before I got a picture. But trust me, it was delicious.)


Quick Butterscotch or Penuche Icing (JoC)

Heat, stirring in the top of a double boiler until the mixture is smooth:
  • 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup light cream or evaporated milk
Remove from the heat and let cool for about 5 minutes.  Gradually add, beating until spreadable:
  •  2 cups powdered sugar, sifted if lumpy
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla or 1 teaspoon run
If the icing seems thin, set the pan in a larger pan of ice water and beat until spreadable.  If necessary, add more powdered sugar.   Add 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans if desired. 

This makes 1 1/2 cups - enough to easily cover a 9x13 slab cake.

**
If for some reason you're not using the icing right away (and really, why wouldn't you?!), you can cover the surface of the icing with plastic wrap and store it  for 3 days at room temperature and 3 weeks in the refrigerator.  Or freeze up to 6 months.  Just soften and stir or beat until smooth before using.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wanted to look up this recipe. Certainly one that my mom (or a version thereof) made. Good stuff. Have a good summer/fall. Did not pay alot of attention to the details of you. Think that you came us because I was searching Grand Manan on Google. I don't know. Anyway, too strange to say the least, as my son, Neil, is in Fredericton and returning to UNB. My husband and I (I sound like the queen) purchased a home in Fredericton a few years back. We love the city. You are in a good spot. Last year my husband (Rick) and took the ferry to Grand Manan. Loved every minute of our trip. Must go now. Keep up the good work and when the snow falls out here in Alberta (and trust me, it will fall) I hope to have more time to do some internet stuff. Maybe start my own blog!! take care, Marion from Alberta