Wednesday, April 14, 2010

singable songs

My friend Luke owns a great toy store.  Since it shares the same space as an art supply store, there's a pretty diverse clientele. This weekend he asked for suggestions for a new music play list that would be fun for kids but not cause adults to want to stuff cotton batting in their ears.  His list included lots of TV theme songs, Motown and British invasion tunes.

I suggested absolutely anything from Free to Be...You and Me (Much of what you need to know about why I am the way I am can be found on this album...)



and lots of They Might Be Giants, either old school or new:



And my friend Kel lobbied for this classic from Moxy Fruvous:



Dear readers, what would make your list of songs the whole family can enjoy?

4 comments:

Kent Fackenthall said...

Well, if you haven't already heard it. The entire Curious George soundtrack by Jack Johnson. Good Stuff.

Liz said...

We love They Might Be Giants! I was one of those parents who hated "kiddie" music, so my kids have grown up around real music. A fave for all of us was an album called Not For Kids Only, a project by Jerry Garcia and David Grisman. It is a collection of old folk standards like jenny jenkins etc, pretty bluegrassy but really fun. My friend Seonaid says Connie Calder is family friendly music that her kids love. Also in my experience kids love celtic music.

Liz said...

As a matter of fact, my kids love the song Lukey's boat from Great Big Sea, and changed the words to sing about Lukey's store.....

denicekimberly said...

i agree, jack johnson is great for kids and adults. beyond that, i can't think of anything specific. we've never been much into 'kids music'. they listen to whatever we listen to.