Tuesday, April 13, 2010

mixtape tuesday: one of "my desert-island, all-time, top five most memorable" mixtapes

The making of a great compilation tape, like breaking up is hard to do. It takes ages longer than it might seem. You gotta kick it off with a killer to grab attention. Then you gotta take it up a notch. But you don't want to blow your wad. So then you gotta cool it off a notch. There are a lot of rules.

When I was a freshman in college, I met a boy who wore a leather jacket and waxed sardonic.  The next time I saw him he brought me a mix tape worthy of a Nick Hornby character.  For the first time I heard the Cure, Roxy Music and Julian Cope.  It was a critical moment in my musical education.

Half a lifetime later he still waxes sardonic.  He still wears that leather jacket.  And occasionally he still sends me great mixes... except now he sends them down the hall or through interoffice mail (Yup, that's right. We ended up working at the same place.)

His birthday is coming up so in honour of the occasion, highlights from one of "my desert-island, all-time, top five most memorable" mixtapes can be found here  (grooveshark's widget maker was acting up this week.)

No comments: