Thursday, April 4, 2013

look sharp(ie)


I didn't really need  another reason to love Sharpies but if you spend any time at all on Pinterest you've probably seen lots of pins about using these pens and markers to transform inexpensive dishes.   I hit up a local dollar store to pick up some white dishes and grabbed a couple of my favourite bronze metallic Sharpies.  Then I got to work.   I just played around with designs not worrying too much about perfection although you could definitely plan out more exact designs!  The result is an inexpensive way to dress up a table. I'm planning a spring birthday party with a tangerine and Tiffany blue palette and these dishes will definitely be making an appearance!

what you need:
  • white oven-safe dishes
  • a Sharpie in the colour of your choice
  • an oven
Wash and dry the dishes thoroughly.  Draw a design of your choice on the dish.  Bake in an 350 degree oven for 30 minutes to set the design. Let cool.  That's it. You've got cute custom dishes!

$10 of dishes get a custom makeover

In terms of caring for your dishes I probably won't put these in the dishwasher and I'm not sure I'd necessarily want to do the design on a surface that comes into contact with food but I haven't actually looked into that.

No comments: