Wednesday, August 15, 2012

kayaking





It wasn't until my last full day on Grand Manan earlier this month that my dad and I finally made it out onto the water in the kayaks.  While I enjoy a nice sunny paddle, fog gives the rugged island coast a beautiful atmosphere.

We headed out at high tide.  It's my favourite time to kayak.  Not only does it mean we can very nearly launch the kayaks from my parents' front lawn (no lugging kayaks over slippery bladderwrack-covered rocks!) but it also affords a unique view of the coastline.  Since Dad and I began kayaking a number of years ago, I've gained a new appreciation for how diverse the island can be and how quickly it can change from imposing rock formations to soft sandy beaches.
We came upon a trio of deer running and jumping on the bog.
Slipping silently through the water at high tide also allows you to get up close and personal with the local wildlife.  (As an aside: Did you know Grand Manan has no bear, moose, coyotes, skunks, porcupines, or poisonous snakes?)  For my birder friends kayaking is a great way to get those shorebird shots.

Canada geese are messy and we discourage them from coming above the high tide mark at Mom & Dad's cove (using a bell or "Shoo!") but I still enjoy watching them.

High tide kayaking also gives you the chance to thread the needle through some very narrow spaces (although I seem to always find the barely-submerged rock to fetch up on.)

After a slightly soggy but enjoyable paddle and some sea heather gathering it was time to head for home.




No comments: